Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Social Network Should Have Won

I will start this by saying I have not, in fact, watched The King's Speech yet.
I base my opinion off of what I have heard from friends and critics.
Also on the fact that The Social Network is awesome.

The Social Network was a fantastic movie.
It was written by Aaron Sorkin.
I mean, come on. Have you seen Sports Night?
No?
Heard of The West Wing?
There you go. 
Sorkin is a genius and his screenplay Oscar is well deserved.

Jesse Eisenberg was great.
Apparently Colin gives a particularly emotional performance in The King's Speech.
I'm not saying that Colin shouldn't have won Best Actor,
but I think Jesse has been looked over.
I think it is very difficult to play an unemotional, shell-of-a-character
interestingly and three dimensionally
and that is what Jesse did.

The score was beautiful.
As hippy as it sounds, as I told my mother, this music
moved my soul.
A friend described it as the "heartbeat" of the movie.
Reznor and Ross did something with a movie soundtrack that I've never heard before
and that gave the movie life in a way that nothing else could have.

David Fincher.
He makes his actors do about a billion takes.
Ego, things turn out perfectly.
Also, you try filming a movie about a website and making it this good.

Editing.
Editing is something that has taken me a while to pick up on.
And with good reason.
Arguably, most of the time, you won't notice a good editor.
The movie should just...flow.
The Social Network is a movie that does jumps through time
and the points in which it breaks are superb. 
Not only that, but sometimes it was jumpy, but I liked it.

It's relevant.
I've heard this argument a couple of places and I couldn't agree more.
Even without seeing The King's Speech, I know this:
it could have been made last year
or ten years ago
or ten years from now
and it would still be a good film with the same message.
The Social Network is a movie that had to be made now.
It's a movie that is talking to this generation.
It's not just a movie about a broken friendship,
it's a movie about a broken generation.
A generation that is exploring this brand new world known as the Internet
and wondering wtf we're suppose to do now.
We literally have the entire world at our fingertips.
All previous conceptions, social and otherwise, have been tossed out the window
and we must learn how to live again.

This movie is beautiful.
This movie is relevant.
This movie is a work of art.
This movie is important.

This movie was the best picture of the year whether it won the Oscar or not.

Love,
Caroline

No comments:

Post a Comment